Valentine's Day is in a couple of days so of course, so its time to create and heart shaped food! Whether you have a valentine or not, these Heart Shaped Peanut Butter Cookies are just the thing to make.
You don't even need a heart shaped cookie cutter. You just form the heart using the end of a knife or fork and then form the bottom with your thumb and index finger. Then use a fork for the classic crisscross design. I'm sure everyone remembers eating these peanut butter cookies from their childhood, so I liked this cute, updated heart cookie. The best part is they have that homemade taste, a rustic look, and they taste delicious.
I just couldn't resist taking it a step further and making an ice cream sandwich with Butterfinger Ice Cream and pink heart sprinkles! This satisfying treat would be just the thing to share with someone special or even just to eat yourself.
The cookies would be adorable wrapped in cellophane and tied with a pink or red ribbon. DIY Valentine gifts can add a more personal touch than buying a box of chocolates.
The other day at Target with my kids, we purchased these XOXO pink signs for just a buck. You can use them to decorate or use them as valentines. We also bought some heart shaped gummies. So I set up a shot with the signs and the candy. My son caught a glimpse of what I was up to and snuck one of the pieces of candy. Sometimes the unexpected things make the best photos, too! Happy Valentines Day!
I found the recipe for the cookies here.
Heart Shaped Peanut Butter Cookies
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup (1 stick) salted butter, melted (microwave for 25-30 seconds)
- ½ cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl add sugar, brown sugar, & melted butter, stir until creamy. Add peanut butter, egg, & vanilla, stir until smooth & creamy.
- Add flour & baking soda & stir until well combined.
- Scoop or roll dough into 1½ inch balls & place on ungreased cookie sheets. Flatten each ball using the bottom of a glass (coated in sugar).
- To make the top of the heart use a butter knife or the handle of fork to cut into the top center of dough. Press it outwards to the right & left to make the "V" shape.
- Use your thumb & index finger to pinch the bottom of the dough to make the bottom "V" shape of the heart. You can use your hands to perfect the heart shape if needed.
- Take a fork & press the dough down on each side making a crisscross on the heart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Be careful not to over bake them or your cookies will turn out hard.