Homemade Fresh Strawberry Syrup

When I have a birthday or someone in my family does, I love to make a special breakfast.  Nothing's better than starting your day with some good eats.  My boys just had their third birthday and I wanted to make them French toast, their favorite breakfast food.  To shake things up and make it "birthday breakfast special", I made a strawberry syrup to pour over the French toast.  I found an easy recipe with four ingredients here and then I got to work.  The best part about making the syrup was the scrumptious scent of the strawberries cooking.  Before I knew it, the syrup was done.  Then I bottled it up to use the next morning for our breakfast.   The strawberry syrup was sweet and had the perfect consistency.  It went well with the French toast and as I ate mine, I daydreamed all the ways I could use the syrup.  Poured over pancakes, waffles, strawberry shortcake, cheesecake......you get the idea. 

Fresh Strawberry Syrup

Ingredients:

3 cups strawberries, diced
1 cup granulated sugar
2 T. lemon juice
1/4. t. vanilla extract

Directions:

Combine strawberries, sugar, lemon juice, and vanilla in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.  Lower heat to a gentle simmer until the strawberries are soft and the syrup is thickened and reduced by 1/3 to 1/2 in volume, about fifteen minutes, stirring occasionally.  Syrup will thicken upon standing so simply whisk in more water to reached consistency if needed. 

You can click here for the recipe I use when making French toast.






Comments

Follow on Instagram

www.flickr.com
Kelli Wong Photography's items Go to Kelli Wong Photography's photostream

Popular Posts