Huckleberry Pancakes

Tonight I decided to have breakfast for dinner.  My family brought me some fresh huckleberries from Montana and I wanted to make some pancakes with them.  I love huckleberries.  My passion for these tart and sweet berries started when I was just a little kid, growing up in western Montana.  We'd pick them for pies, ice cream, pancakes and just to eat right out of the bucket.  My parents still pick them every summer and if I'm lucky, they give me some.  When we went camping my dad made us buttermilk pancakes with huckleberries on his portable grill.  I didn't have any buttermilk today so I just used a pancake recipe from allrecipes.com.  I'll use dad's recipe next time.  I still have some more huckleberries! 

Good Old Fashioned Pancakes
 
Ingredients:
 
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour                                                                     
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder                                              
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 1/4 cups milk
1 egg
3 tablespoons melted butter
 
Directions:
 
In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Make a well in the center and pour in the milk, egg and melted butter; mix until smooth.

Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot.

                                                  Huckleberries straight from Montana!
                                                  Getting ready to flip them over.


I think they need some maple syrup-perfect!  They tasted good and hit the spot.  Definitely a comfort food and brought me back to my childhood.  Anything with huckleberries in it tastes delicious!   
 

Comments

Follow on Instagram

www.flickr.com
Kelli Wong Photography's items Go to Kelli Wong Photography's photostream

Popular Posts