Heavenly Filled Strawberries
I have seen many of these strawberry filled recipes all over the web and thought they looked fun to make. The recipe is simple and they are yummy, plus they are bite sized. They tasted like strawberry cheesecake and made a good afternoon snack. These filled strawberries would be perfect for a baby shower or a Mother's Day Brunch. This recipe from Taste of Home, called for chocolate shavings to garnish with but I used cocoa powder. Believe it or not, I didn't have any chocolate on hand. After I made them I realized I could have sprinkled graham cracker crumbs on top instead, then they would have tasted even more like cheesecake. The recipe also calls for almond extract but I used vanilla extract instead.
Recipe from Taste of Home
- 1 pound fresh strawberries
- 2 packages (one 8 ounces, one 3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Grated chocolate
- Remove stems from strawberries; cut a deep "X" in the tip of each berry. Gently spread berries open.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and extract until light and fluffy. Pipe or spoon about 2 teaspoons into each berry; sprinkle with chocolate. Chill until serving. Yield: about 3 dozen.